Osgood Bradley Car Co. (1927)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
No. 7005 of the Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway was built by Osgood Bradley in 1927 as part of the last group of 50 cars acquired before the decision was made to convert the system to buses. When these cars were introduced, the Electric Railway Journal described the 7000s as the finest lightweight cars in New England. Car 7005 features comfortable leather seats, linoleum flooring, and running equipment on the platforms enclosed in cabinets, a revolutionary concept at the time. These cars ran throughout the far flung system on both city routes and long intercity lines.
As the system rapidly contracted, the 7000s were centrated in Lynn, mostly for runs to Boston, operating into the trolley subway to the old Brattle loop, which still exists at Government Center Station. No. 7005 was one of 15 sold to the Boston Elevated in 1936 when it acquired the Chelsea and Revere lines, and operated there as No. 4400. Others of this type rain in Quincy, where the company's last streetcar line (to Fields Corner, Dorchester) closed on May 1, 1948. No. 4400 was purchased for the collection in 1950.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: Osgood Bradley Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
Control: K-35KK (LB)
|Trucks: 2 Brill 177E-1X
||Motors: 4 General Electric 265
|Length: 43' 9"
||Width: 8' 4"
||Height: 11' 1"
||Weight: 38900 lbs.