Laconia Car Co. (1918)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
No. 4387, a somewhat improved version of Bay State Street Railway semi-convertible No. 4175, is one of 200 cars built for the Bay State Street Railway by the Laconia Car Co. in 1918. it has large platforms and extremely large three sash windows, of which the lowermost drop into pockets in the sides. The frame is of composite steel and wood construction and the car is equipped with both transverse and longitudinal seats, having been designed for operation on both city and suburban lines. They were widely used throughout the vast Bay State system.
Including those sold to the Boston Elevated in 1936, along with the Chelsea and Revere car lines, many of this fleet survived until the late 1940s. Car 4387 last was used on an Eastern Mass. line running between the Sullivan Square elevated terminal in Charlestown and the town of Stoneham. It was acquired by the museum in 1946. Although No. 4387 was in fairly good condition when acquired, a poorly executed roof repair of the 1938 Hurricane damage had failed to hold up. There were numerous electrical problems, and general fraying over the years, but a total restoration has made 4387 another particular jewel of the Seashore fleet.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: Laconia Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
Control: PC-5 (CJ-129)
|Trucks: 2 Bay State 12C
||Motors: 4 General Electric 247C
|Length: 44' 3"
||Width: 8' 10"
||Height: 12' 0"
||Weight: 44880 lbs.