Laconia Car Co. (1914)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
No. 4175, was built by Laconia in 1914, and came to Seashore in 1974 as a body that had been used for a summer camp in New Jersey. On July 1, 1919, the Bay State was reorganized with public assistance from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Part of the deal called for the termination of operations in other states. Some of the 4100 series cars were assigned to Newport, Rhode Island, and were later sold off to operate on the Coast Cities Railway in Asbury Park, New Jersey, from 1925 until 1929.
No. 4175, which carried the number 703 in New Jersey, is being returned to its 1914 Bay State Street Railway configuration and appearance. It is providing to be a splendid exampleof the success of the reclamation of a stripped carbody into an outstandingly restored electric railway car. This car was also used as a prototype for a replica at the Lowell National Historic Park.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: Laconia Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
|Trucks: 2 Standard 050
||Motors: 4 General Electric 86
|Brakes: Straight Air
|Length: 39' 8"
||Width: 8' 3"
||Weight: 43800 lbs.